See below for answers to the most frequently asked questions we receive. Our trained and responsive staff looks forward to answering your specific questions. Contact us today.
Can flyers be distributed during special events?
Storey County Code prohibits the distribution of flyers on the street at any time, including during special events. Interested parties must petition the for permission.
Who needs a business license?
A Storey County business license is required for each person, partnership, association, corporation or firm engaging in any trade, calling, service, profession or business venture in Storey County, as set forth by County code, whether or not they have offices located in Storey County. You must also have a business license in the jurisdiction where your business is located. Each business location within the County must have a separate license. A trade show or convention held in this state in which a business previously described takes part, or in which a person who conducts such a business attends, for a purpose related to the conduct of the business also needs a business license.
Business licenses must be displayed conspicuously at your place of business, and in such a manner as to be open to view by the public and subject to inspection. The Business License department must be notified in writing regarding any changes in business name or ownership, location, number of employees, equipment, machines or any other contingency.
Detailed information on business taxation rates and downloadable forms may be obtained at the Department of Taxation web site.
What information will I need to provide?
In order to obtain a Storey County business license, you will need to provide the following:
- A completed application for business license, which you have signed and dated
- A copy of your Nevada Tax ID/Business License or proof of exemption which is obtained through the Nevada State Department of Taxation
- Proof of any additional required federal or state licenses. This depends on the type of business you will conduct. For example, a license from the State Board of Medical Examiners is required to practice medicine.
- Any applicable County agency approvals and sign-offs, for those who plan to open commercial businesses run from a store front, or a non-home based business run from your property (i.e. horse boarding). The Business License office will prepare these forms for you.
- The required fees for your business, per the appropriate business license application
What licenses does the Sheriff's Department handle?
The Storey County Sheriff’s Department issues licenses for several specific types of businesses. Although the Business License department will collect application materials for ALL businesses, our office will occasionally forward these materials, in the case of these specific types of businesses, to the Sheriff's Office, who will then process the materials and issue licenses. All other licenses are handled solely by the Business License department.
Licenses for the following businesses will be issued by the Sheriff's department:
Establishments that serve or sell liquor
*Please refer all brothel applications or questions directly to the Sheriff’s Office.