Link to Nevada Secretary of State
Information for Voter's with Disabilities
Requirements for Registering to Vote:
To vote in Storey County, you must be a registered voter of Storey County, Nevada. To register to vote, the following criteria must be met:
1. A U.S. citizen
2. At least 18 years old by Election Day
3. A resident of your precinct at least 30 days prior to an election
4. Federal law requires first-time voters who register by mail to show proof of identification in order to vote. If you register by mail, you must vote in person the first time.
Where and how to register in Person:
1. You can register to vote in Storey County at the Virginia City Courthouse in the Clerk’s Office. Click here for the address.
2. There are also Deputy Registrars in the Virginia City Highlands, Mark Twain Estates and the Truckee River District. Please contact the Clerk’s Office to locate the nearest registrar.
3. You can register to vote at any full service Nevada State Department of Motor Vehicles (DMVs) or any Clerk’s office in the State of Nevada. Storey County's Satellite DMV services are not authorized to accept voter registrations. However the Storey County Clerk's office can accept voter registrations. Please contact the Clerk's Office.
Mail-in application form - You can complete a mail-in voter application form and return it to the Storey County Clerk's office. The Clerk's office can also mail you an application form upon your request. Click here for contact information.
When to re-register:
Your registration is permanent unless you move or change your name. If you move to another Nevada county, you must re-register in that particular county. Additionally, if you have recently changed your name or moved within the county, please contact the Storey County Clerk’s office for a new voter registration form.
Where to vote:
1. At your "polling place" on Election Day.
Your Registered Voter’s Card will inform you of the precinct in which you’re registered. This is the precinct in which you will vote. Additionally, your polling place will be shown on the mailing label on your Sample Ballot.
You can also contact the Storey County Clerk’s office to find out your polling place.
2. Before Election Day with "Early Voting."
Storey County Clerk’s Office is located in Virginia City on “B” Street at the Courthouse, 2nd Floor
Contact the Storey County Clerk’s Office for the dates and times for when you can vote early.
By Absentee --Any voter can choose to vote at home by mail. You must request an Absentee Ballot in writing as we need your signature to make sure we do not give your ballot to someone else.
Contact the Storey County Clerk’s office to have an Absentee Ballot Request Card sent to you.
If you do not have this form, you can also request a mail ballot by writing a letter or postcard to:
Storey County Clerk’s Office
Virginia City, NV 89440
Note: You must send in the request for an Absentee ballot at least 1 week before the election.
Absentee Ballot Request Form
After you send in your form, you will receive a ballot in the mail (see sample above). When you vote at home, you can take as long as you want. Your family and friends can help you. Be sure to send your Mail Ballot back so that it is received by 5:00 p.m. on the Tuesday before the election. Or, on Election Day, you can drop it off at any polling place in your county between 7:00 a.m. and 7:00 p.m.
If you vote by mail, you can't vote at the polls too. Only one vote per person!