The following is a list of questions the Storey County Sheriff’s Office receives frequently.  If, however, your question isn’t listed, or isn’t answered completely, we invite you to contact our office directly.

How can I get a copy of an accident report?

Accidents that occurred prior to 2012 are available though our office at the cost of $1.00 per page.  Accidents that occurred in 2012 and forward are now provided through CARFAX.  Please click here and you will be redirected to the CARFAX website.  Depending on where the accident occurred, it may have been handled by the Nevada Highway Patrol, which can be reached by calling (775) 688-2500.

How can I obtain a copy of a case report?

To obtain a copy of a case report, you must first contact the Storey County Sheriff’s Office to confirm the case was handled through our office.  Please note, the cost to obtain a case report is $1.00 per page.  Therefore, we encourage you to ask how many pages the report includes.  Additionally, the Sheriff’s Office can only provide reports for closed cases.  If the case is active at the time of request, you will need to obtain the report from the District Attorney’s Office.  The Sheriff’s Office can advise of the case’s status when you call.  Please submit your request in writing along with a check made payable to the Storey County Sheriff’s Office. Please click here for the office’s mailing address.

When I go on vacation, will the Sheriff’s Office check my home?

Yes, this is a community service we provide residents and businesses.  Simply call the Dispatch Center at (775) 847-0950 to set up a “Vacation Watch” schedule.  We ask that you request this service one week in advance of your planned departure date.

How can I get information on sex offenders in the area?

Please visit the Nevada Department of Public Safety’s Sex Offender website. There, you can search for an offender, obtain current statistics about sexual offences and read helpful safety tips.

What can I do about my neighbor’s barking dogs?

To file a complaint, please contact the non-emergency phone number at the Dispatch Center which is (775) 847-0950.  Your complaint will be logged and an officer will be dispatched to evaluate the situation.

What should I do about an animal running loose in my neighborhood?

Please contact the non-emergency phone number at the Dispatch Center which is (775) 847-0950.  An officer will be dispatched to check on the animal and take necessary action.

How can I obtain a concealed weapon permit?

To obtain a concealed weapon permit, you must complete an application, which can be downloaded by clicking here. Please note, there is a $37.50 Department of Public Safety fee for fingerprinting and a $60.00 Storey County Sheriff’s Office processing fee.  Additionally, per the requirements listed on the application, you must also receive a certificate from a local firing range.

How can I get fingerprinted?

Please visit the Storey County Sheriff’s Office at 205 South C Street. We will be more than happy to assist you with your fingerprinting needs. Typically, two cards are required, and there is a $10 fee for each card.

How can I start a neighborhood watch program?

To start a neighborhood watch program, it is recommended that you first meet with your neighbors to determine the level of interest in a watch program and the special concerns of people in your area.  Set up an initial meeting date and invite your Storey County Sheriff’s Office Neighborhood Watch program deputy, John-Michael Mendoza, to the meeting (847-0959).  During this meeting, Deputy Mendoza can answer questions about crime in your area as well as assist you in organizing your program and how to utilize it most effectively.  Deputy Mendoza will provide you with Neighborhood Watch decals, and we encourage as many homes as possible to prominently display these decals (for instance, on a window facing the street).  To report a possible crime, violation or burglary, please contact the Dispatch Center at (775) 847-0950.

How do I dispute a traffic citation?

If you would like to dispute a traffic citation, you must visit the Storey County Justice Court to obtain a waiver of arraignment.  You may also make your court date and plea “not guilty”.  If you’d prefer, you can mail your scheduled bail and a plea of “not guilty” to the Justice Court and a waiver of arraignment will be sent to you.  Once the waiver of arraignment is received by the Justice Court, a pre-trial date will be set.  The Justice Court is located  at 26 South B Street.  The mailing address is P.O. Box 674, Virginia City, NV 89440.

How do I pay a traffic citation?

If you would like to pay a traffic citation, simply mail in a scheduled bail prior to the court date or appear in court and plea “no contest” or “guilty.” Please mail in a check or money order made payable to Storey County Justice Court. You may also elect to bring it to the Justice Court in person.  The Justice Court is located  at 26 South B Street.  The mailing address is P.O. Box 674, Virginia City, NV 89440. 







For information, or problems with this website, please contact: Storey County IT