Board of Commissioners
26 S. B St.
P.O. Box 176
Virginia City, NV 89440
Monday - Friday
9 a.m. - 5 p.m.
- 1st and 3rd Tuesday of each month
Agendas & MinutesAgendas are prepared prior to each meeting. Minutes are available following approval.
Most Recent Agenda (PDF) | All Agendas
MembersThe Storey County Board of Commissioners consists of 3 elected members:
- Jay Carmona - Chairman
- Clay Mitchell - Vice-Chairman
- Lance Gilman - Commissioner
Each commissioner is required to reside in 1 of 3 districts, equally divided among the county’s population based on the census. However, each commissioner is elected by all residents of the county to serve a 4 year term, during which they discuss and determine all issues on a countywide basis.
In order to qualify for election to a seat representing a district on the Board of Commissioners, an individual must be a current resident in that district and have resided there for a minimum of 30 days prior to the close of filing.
Duties & ResponsibilitiesAs the county’s governing board, the commission has vast responsibilities, spanning from budgeting to policy enactment and enforcement. Below are some of the many services the Storey County Commissioners provide the residents and businesses of the county:
- Budgeting - approve all county department budgets and monitor their performance
- Set tax rate countywide, as well as water and sewer rates in Virginia City and Gold Hill
- Establish and monitor the policies and ordinances that run our county government