Board of Equalization
County Clerk - Treasurer
26 S. B St.
Virginia City, NV 89440
Monday - Friday
8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
- Assessments of real and personal property valuations
- Claims for either real or personal property tax exemptions
- Current use determinations
- Denials of home improvement exemptions
- Denials of senior citizen/disabled persons exemptions
- Destroyed property determinations
Property Tax Assessment Appeal ProcessIn Storey County, the property tax assessment and appeal process is as follows:
- The Assessor completes new assessments for all real and personal property in the county by December of each year.
- If a property owner does not agree with this assessment, they may file an appeal with the County Assessor by January 15 of each year. The Assessor provides all filed appeals to the Board of Equalization. Please contact the Assessor's office to obtain the necessary forms involved in filing an appeal.
- The Board of Equalization then sets a hearing date to review any appeals before the Storey County Assessor. All appeals must be concluded by the last day in February.
- The County Clerk sets the agenda and notifies all parties that have appealed of the hearing date. During the hearing, the Clerk takes minutes and records the final notification of the decisions made.
- Should a property owner not agree with the decision made by the County Board of Equalization, they can appeal to the State Board of Equalization.
- The hearing information is forwarded on to the State Board of Equalization by March 10, or the next business day if March 10 falls on a weekend.