Storey County PO Box 176 Virginia City, NV 89440

Marriage Application

    Jim Hindle
    County Clerk - Treasurer

    Clerk's Office
    26 S. B St.
    Drawer D
    Virginia City, NV 89440

    Ph: 775-847-0969
    Fx: 775-847-0921

    Monday - Friday
    8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.

    Staff Directory
    ID Requirement - Valid Picture Identification:
    • Certified or original Birth Certificate - If a foreign birth certificate, it must be translated into English and notarized
    • Military ID
    • Resident Alien Card
    • Valid Driver's License
    • Valid Identification Card from DMV
    • Valid Passport
    • You will also need to know your social security number
  • Residency Requirement
    • You do not have to be a resident of Nevada
  • Previous Marriages
    • If you were previously married, your divorce must be final
    • You need to know the date (month, year) of your divorce and the location (city and state) where you were divorced
  • Covenant Marriage Option
    • Not available
  • Waiting Period in Nevada
    • There is no waiting period to get married in Nevada
  • Fees in Nevada
    • You will have to pay $85 fee to get married in Storey County Nevada - cash, check, or credit cards are accepted
  • Other Tests
    • No blood tests
  • Proxy Marriages
    • No, both parties must be present
  • Common Law Marriages
    • Not available 
  • Renewing Your Vows
    • No, the county clerk's office is prohibited from issuing a new Marriage License to couples currently married
    • You may renew your wedding vows at a church or wedding chapel, but they may require you to bring a copy of your Marriage Certificate for proof of marriage before performing the renewal ceremony
  • Cousin Marriages
    • Not nearer of kin than second cousins or cousins of half-blood
  • Under 18
    • If you are under 18 marriage can be authorized only by court order when the request has been filed by either parent or legal guardian

Copy of Certificate of Marriage

In Nevada, marriage certificates are stored at the county level. To receive a copy of your marriage certificate, you must contact the County Recorder in the county where you obtained your marriage license. You will need to pay the fees payable to "County Recorder."

  • The Office of Vital Records can "search for and verify events occurring after 1968 if you submit a request containing the full name(s) of the person whose record you are searching for, the approximate date of the event and the city where you believe the event occurred." There is a fee for each name searched.
  • Your marriage ceremony may be performed by any of the following:
    • An ordained minister, religious official, or Notary Public who is licensed and registered to perform marriages
    • All judicial officers (Judges) of the State of Nevada
    • Chaplains of the Armed Forces
    • Our Virginia Township Justice of the Peace is available to perform marriages Monday thru Friday. Contact the Justice of the Peace Office at 775-847-0962 prior to that day to find out the available time