Marriage Officiate Information
County Clerk - Treasurer
26 S. B St.
Virginia City, NV 89440
Monday - Friday
8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
- In order to apply for a Certificate of Authority to Solemnize Marriages in the State of Nevada, please visit the for applications. There is a non-refundable fee of $25.
- Processing time for applications varies depending upon the type of application submitted. Background checks are required on applicants submitting a Permanent Application, Retired Status Applications (local ministers only), and Temporary Replacement Applications. The processing time for a Permanent Application is approximately 2-3 weeks.
- Faxed documents will not be accepted. Original documents are required.
- To avoid any delays in processing, check to ensure that the documents are signed by the appropriate party and are notarized.
- No fee is charged for this service performed by the Clerk's Office. However, there may be a $45 fee for the 3rd party background check on Permanent Certificates of Authority.
Permanent Certificate of AuthorityPermanent Certificate of Authority (PDF) (Local Applicants Only) - For 1st time applicants or previous certificate holders residing in Storey County, Nevada who have been removed, changed churches or religious organizations, or must reapply every 5 years.
Temporary Certificate of AuthorityTemporary Certificate of Authority (PDF) (Out-of-State Applicants Only) - For out-of-state applicants, NRS 122 provides that a licensed, ordained, or appointed minister, or other person authorized to solemnize a marriage in good standing with his church or religious organization, or a person who is retired having had active charge of a church or religious organization for a period of at least 3 years--whose residence and church or religious organization is in another state-- may perform marriages in the county if authorized to do so by the county clerk.
A separate authorization is required for each marriage performed. Such a minister or other person authorized to solemnize marriages may perform no more than 5 marriages in Nevada in any calendar year.
Notary Public Single Ceremony StatusNotary Public Single Ceremony Status (PDF) (In-State Applicants) - NRS 122 authorizes a Notary Public appointed by the Nevada Secretary of State--and in good standing--to apply for a Certificate of Authority to solemnize a specific marriage ceremony.
A separate application and fee ($25) is required for each marriage performed. Such Notary Public may perform no more than 5 marriages in Nevada in any calendar year. The application is obtained from the county clerk where the single ceremony is to be performed.
Notary Public Active StatusNotary Public Active Status (PDF) (Local Applicants Only) - NRS 122 authorizes a Notary Public appointed by the Nevada Secretary of State--and in good standing--to apply for a Certificate of Authority to Solemnize Marriages.
If granted, the certificate remains in effect until the Notary Public's commission expires. If the Notary Public renews his/her commission, he/she must reapply for a new Certificate of Authority to Solemnize Marriages.
Change of Address FormChange of Address Form (PDF) - Address changes for church or religious organization or the minister's home address require completion of a Change of Address form. Please notify us of address changes on the appropriate form and return it to the address listed to the left.
Certificate holders will need to reapply if they change to a new church or religious organization.
Affidavit of RevocationThe religious organization with which a minister or other person authorized to solemnize marriage is affiliated must submit an Affidavit of Revocation of Authority to Solemnize Marriages (PDF) within 5 days following any one or more of the occurrences listed below:
- If minister or other person authorized to solemnize marriages is no longer in good standing as herein stated
- If minister or other person authorized to solemnize marriages has ceased to be a member of the church or religious organization
- If minister or other person authorized to solemnize marriages has ceased to be a minister or other person authorized to solemnize marriages of the church or religious organization
- If the minister or other person authorized to solemnize marriages moves his/her residence from Storey County
- If the aforementioned church or religious organization changes address or location
- If the church or religious organization is dissolved or otherwise terminated or changes its existence