Storey County’s Master Plan examines the development of four primary population areas:
- Virginia City/Gold Hill: This area is located in the mountainous southwest section of the county. The development of this area can be directly attributed to the discovery of the Comstock Lode and is a major tourist attraction in the State of Nevada.
- Virginia Highlands: Located 5 miles north of Virginia City, this is a mountainous residential subdivision of 1, 10, and 40 acre parcels with primarily upscale housing. There is currently no commercial development in this area.
- Mark Twain: Located 6 miles due east of Virginia City, this is a residential subdivision consisting primarily of mobile homes. The terrain is relatively level.
- The River District: This district stretches about 25 miles along the south bank of the Truckee River and makes up the northern boundary of the county. It has a mixed land use of residential, agricultural, recreational, industrial, and commercial development.
Unlike most of Nevada--87% of which is managed by federal agencies--over 90% of Storey County is privately owned. Without the active support of a federal land management agency or sufficient revenues necessary to develop a county Planning Department, land management efforts in the interior have been minimal and the resources available are largely unknown.
The Document Center provides easy access to public documents. Click on one of the categories below to see related documents or use the search function.
Documents sorted by SEQ in Ascending Order within category
Master Plan (2016)13 documents
- 00 MP Bibliography (07-19-16) fd.pdf
- 00 Signed Resolution PC sg.pdf
- MP Chapter 1 Introduction and Framework (07-27-16) fd.pdf
- MP Chapter 2 Themes and Principles (08-05-16) fd.pdf
- MP Chapter 3 Land Use (08-08-16) fd.pdf
- MP Chapter 4 Public Lands (08-05-16) fd.pdf
- MP Chapter 5 Population (08-05-16) fd.pdf
- MP Chapter 6 Housing (08-05-16) fd.pdf
- MP Chapter 7 Economic Development (07-27-16) fd.pdf
- MP Chapter 8 Transportation (07-18-16) fd.pdf
- MP Chapter 9 Public Services and Facilities (08-08-16) fd.pdf
- MP Chapter 10 Water and Natural Resources (07-19-16) fd.pdf
- MP Chapter 11 Cultural and Historic Resources (07-19-16) fd.pdf
Master Plan Appendices (2016)10 documents
- z Appendix A - NV Population Projections-2014.pdf
- z Appendix B - Publicly Maintained Roads.pdf
- z Appendix C - Virginia City Parking Study 1992.pdf
- z Appendix D - Functional Class Maps (NDOT).pdf
- z Appendix E - Official TRI Annexation Map 2015.pdf
- z Appendix F- Sensitivity Study of Comstock.pdf
- z Appendix G - NV Uplands-SC Settlement Agreement.pdf
- z Appendix H - Ballot Questions 1 and 2 and Results.pdf
- z Appendix I - HR Storey County Lands Act 2014.pdf
- z Appendix J -MOU BLM Agreement.pdf
Master Plan Land Use Maps (2016)19 documents
- GH Divide American Flat 1.pdf
- GH Divide American Flat 2.pdf
- GH Divide American Flat 3.pdf
- GH Divide American Flat 4.pdf
- LW Mustang 1.pdf
- LW Mustang 2.pdf
- Mark Twain.pdf
- McCarran 2.pdf
- McCarran 3.pdf
- Painted Rock.pdf
- Planning areas 2016.pdf
- Transmissions Corridors.pdf
- VC 1.pdf
- VC 2.pdf
- VC 3.pdf