Storey County PO Box 176 Virginia City, NV 89440


Business License

Can business flyers be distributed during special events?
Storey County Code prohibits the distribution of flyers on the street at any time, including during special events. Interested parties must petition for permission.
Who needs a business license?
A Storey County business license is required for each person, partnership, association, corporation, or firm engaging in any trade, calling, service, profession, or business venture in Storey County, as set forth by county code, whether or not they have offices located in Storey County. You must also have a business license in the jurisdiction where your business is located. 

Each business location within the county must have a separate license. A trade show or convention held in this state in which a business previously described takes part--or in which a person who conducts such a business attends for a purpose related to the conduct of the business--also needs a business license.

Business licenses must be displayed conspicuously at your place of business and in such a manner as to be open to view by the public and subject to inspection. The Business License department must be notified in writing regarding any changes in business name or ownership, location, number of employees, equipment, machines, or any other contingency.

Detailed information on business taxation rates and downloadable forms may be obtained at the Department of Taxation website.

What information will I need to provide?

In order to obtain a Storey County business license, you will need to provide the following:

  • A completed application for business license, which you have signed and dated
  • A copy of your Nevada Tax ID/Business License or proof of exemption which is obtained through the Nevada State Department of Taxation
  • Proof of any additional required federal or state licenses
    • This depends on the type of business you will conduct
    • For example, a license from the State Board of Medical Examiners is required to practice medicine
  • Any applicable county agency approvals and sign-offs, for those who plan to open commercial businesses run from a store front, or a non-home based business run from your property (e.g. horse boarding)
    • The Business License Office will prepare these forms for you
  • The required fees for your business, per the appropriate business license application
What licenses does the Sheriff's Department handle?

The Storey County Sheriff’s Department issues licenses for several specific types of businesses. Although the Business License Office will collect application materials for all businesses, our office will occasionally forward these materials--in the case of these specific types of businesses--to the Sheriff's Office, which will then process the materials and issue licenses. All other licenses are handled solely by the Business License Office.

Licenses for the following businesses will be issued by the Sheriff's Department:

  • Alarm companies
  • Brothels*
  • Daycares
  • Door to door
  • Escort services
  • Establishments that serve or sell liquor
  • Gaming establishments
  • Utilities

*Please refer all brothel applications or questions directly to the Sheriff’s Office.


How do I find out about weather related alerts?
If there are any important alerts related to weather, including evacuations or road and school closures in Storey County, you can call 847-INFO (775-847-4636) for an updated recording of information as well as what you should do in the event of severe weather.
When is open burn season?
Depending on weather conditions the burn season usually opens in late October and closes in May. Please contact the Fire Department at 775-847-0954 to obtain a Burn Permit.
Is there school today?
Please call 775-847-INFO for information. You may also contact the School District office at 775-847-0983.
What are the road conditions in Storey County?
You may call 775-847-INFO or call 511 for road conditions in the State of Nevada.
My neighbors are being disruptive. Should I call 911?
911 is specifically for emergency related calls. An emergency is defined as an immediate threat to life and/or property that requires a response from sheriff, fire, or medical personnel. If your neighbors are in danger or you fear they may be putting someone else in danger, please call 911.

However, if this is not an emergency, we ask that you call the dispatch center at 775-847-0950. Our communications specialists will direct your call to the appropriate authorities.
Can I include information about our neighborhood garage sale on 847-INFO?
No, 847-INFO is reserved specifically for community wide events. Events published on 847-INFO include:
  • blood drives
  • festivals
  • fundraisers
  • parades
  • other community wide events
How do I ensure all of my phone numbers are registered with City Watch?
The only phone numbers that are automatically stored in the City Watch reverse 911 system are AT&T land line numbers in Storey County. If you’d like your cell phone, office phone, or other secondary phone numbers listed, we ask that you contact the Communications Center at 775-847-0950 or send an email request.
What information do I need to have to make an emergency 911 call? What questions will be asked?
The first question that Emergency Dispatchers will ask you is the location of your emergency. If you are unsure, it is helpful if you know the approximate location of the emergency. Communications Specialists are specially trained to ask questions of all emergency callers. Some of the questions that will be asked when you call 9-1-1 include:
  • Where?
    • Where is the incident taking place?
    • Where is the fire?
    • Where is the crime?
    • Where is the patient?
    • Where are you?
    • Where is the suspect?
  • What?
    • What is the nature of the call?
    • What are you reporting?
    • What type of crime?
    • What type of fire?
    • Brush, structure, wildland?
    • What kind of illness or injury?
  • Who?
    • Who is involved?
    • Who needs an ambulance?
    • Who are you?
    • Who is the suspect?
    • How old is the person?
    • Is the person conscious?
    • Is the person breathing?
  • When?
    • When did this happen?
    • Is it in progress?
    • Did it just occur?
  • Weapons?
    • Are there any weapons involved?
    • Does anyone have access to weapons?
How do I know when I should call 911?

Generally speaking, if you ever wonder if you should call 911, then you should place the call. Our communications specialists are specially trained to ask appropriate questions to help determine how emergent a situation is and which emergency services should be dispatched. 

Always call 911 if you are witnessing a crime, a fire, are reporting a serious illness or injury, and for alerting authorities to missing persons.

There are, however, certain instances when calling 911 is not appropriate. These situations include:

  • As a prank
  • To get the time or date
  • To get a phone number
  • To report improper parking
  • To find out weather conditions
  • To get road conditions
  • To report barking dogs
  • To report stray animals
  • To report missing pets
  • To find out if it’s burn season
  • To determine if school is canceled due to weather


What is the difference between a Comptroller and a Controller?
A Comptroller generally is the accurate word for a person working in the financial area for government, while a Controller is the equivalent person in private business. Both oversee accounting, reporting, and the implementation and monitoring of internal financial controls.
Are county financial statements made available to the public?
Yes. Current financial reports as well as historical reports and audit reports are available to the public. Contact the Comptroller's Office at 775-847-1006 for more information.
What do I need to do to become an approved vendor for Storey County?
All vendors must have a completed, up to date W-9 on file with the county. Download a W-9 form and submit to the county department you will be working with.

Click to download W-9 form
I am an approved vendor of Storey County and I have submitted an invoice for payment. What is the process for receiving payment?
Payments are processed twice per month and coincide with the commissioners bi-monthly meetings, as all bills must be approved by the Board of Commissioners. 

Contact the Comptroller's Office at 775-847-1006 for more information.
What are Nevada Revised Statutes?
The Nevada Revised Statutes (NRS) are the current codified laws of the State of Nevada. Please visit the Nevada Law Library website for more information.
What laws govern the county's debt management policy?
Specifically, NRS 350.013 which states: “Municipalities to submit annually statement of current and contemplated general obligation debt and special elective taxes, statement of debt management policy, plan for capital improvement or alternate statement and certain information regarding chief financial officer; update of information; exceptions.”

Emergency Services

What forms of payment do you accept?
Storey County Fire District accepts personal checks, money orders, cashier’s checks, and credit card payments. You may pay online or mail your payment to: Storey County Ambulance Billing PO Box 603 Virginia City, NV 89440
What if I want you to bill my insurance?
You may complete the insurance information section on the back of your remittance slip and return it to us, and we will be glad to submit your charges to your insurance company.
Why do I have to pay?
The Paramedic and Ambulance service provided by Storey County is not a tax based system. While taxes provide a portion of operational funding, ambulance fees collected from insurance companies and those who utilize the service, along with membership fees for Storey County Ambulance Subscription Program, all serve to keep us operational.
What if the patient is deceased?
If an ambulance patient has passed away, his/her insurance and/or estate should still take care of the ambulance charges. If no insurance or estate exists, you may fill out an Affidavit Concerning Death and Inability to Pay Ambulance Charges. Please contact us and we will provide you with the form:
Ambulance Billing Department
145 N. C St.
P.O. Box 603
Virginia City, NV 89440
Ph: 775-847-0954
Fx: 775-847-0987
How can I contact the Ambulance Billing Department?
For questions concerning your ambulance bill, you may contact the Ambulance Billing Department during normal business hours at 775-847-0954, or send an email. Billing complaints should be in writing and may be mailed to:
Storey County Ambulance
P.O. Box 603
Virginia City, NV 89440


How do I obtain a copy of my Deed or another recorded document?
Unofficial copies of recorded documents are available through our online search. Currently, our online database starts around 1982. Records before this date can be searched in-office or online through our Historical Index Search For an official copy (without a watermark) or a certified copy, please call our office at (775) 847-0967 or email us. 
How much do copies cost?
Copies of Official Records are $1 per page.  A certified copy is $4 per document certification, plus $1 per page.  Certified marriage certificates are $15 each.   

A 24” x 36” map copy is available in the office for a fee of $2 per page. 

Credit card payments can be processed over the phone, and the requested document(s) can be mailed or emailed depending on the nature of the request.  There is a $2 processing fee on credit card orders under $50 - our full fee schedule can be found here.
How do I add or remove a name from my property?
The Recorder’s Office is unable to provide forms or advice to enact such changes due to state and federal laws.  Please contact a title company, attorney, or paralegal. 

Additional resources, such as Volunteer Attorneys for Rural Nevada (VARN) and the Carson and Rural Elder (CARE) Law Program, are available.
Is there a notary in the Recorder's Office?
No. The Recorder’s Office does not provide notary services, but other departments in the courthouse have them available.  Please call ahead for availability.
Where can I search records?
Through our online search.  Currently, our online database starts around 1982.  Records before this date can be searched in-office or online through our Historical Index Search.  As we are in the process of integrating document images for this timeframe, please call (775) 847-0967 or email us if you are unable to view a record online.
How do I electronically record (eRecord) documents?
We receive electronically submitted documents through Simplifile, CSC, eRecording Partners Network (EPN), and Indecomm Global Services.  A title company, attorney, paralegal, or other professional registered with any of the above eRecording services can further assist.  

Otherwise, please visit our office with your original document(s) or mail in your submission with the applicable fees.
What if the documents I need pre-date your online search of 1982?

Please call or email us with your request.  If you have identifying information such as a document number or book and page reference, we can access the document and assist via email or mail.  See our fee schedule for copy and certified copy fees. 

Documents recorded before 1982 are searchable in-office or online through our Historical Index Search. Please call or email us to schedule an office visit to view these indexes. 

How do I get all of the recorded documents on a property?

The Recorder’s Office is unable to generate a full title search - please contact a title company, attorney, or paralegal. 

Our online search provides access to Official Records using indexed information.  Currently, our online database starts around 1982 - records prior to this date can be searched in office or online through our Historical Index Search.  Please call or email us to schedule an office visit to view these indexes. 

Examples of search terms include Assessor’s Parcel Number (APN), Grantor/Grantee names, document type, date range, or legal description. We are in the process of integrating document images for this time frame, please call us at (775) 847-0967 or email if you are unable to view a record online.

How can I find out who owns a property?
Through the Assessor’s Office search, or by calling either of our offices.
How do I search for maps or easements on my property?

Our online search provides access to Official Records including maps and easements using indexed information. Currently, our online database starts around 1982.  Records before this date can be searched in-office or online through our Historical Index Search.  Please call or email us to schedule an office visit to view these indexes. 

Examples of search terms include the Assessor’s Parcel Number (APN), Grantor/Grantee names, document type, date range, or legal description. As we are in the process of integrating document images, please call us at (775) 847-0967 or email us if you are unable to view a record online.

The Recorder’s Office is unable to generate a full title search.  Please contact a title company, attorney, or paralegal.

Are document forms/templates available through the Recorder's Office?
No. Due to state and federal laws, we are unable to provide document form types other than the forms listed in our Standard Forms section of this website.
I just paid off my mortgage. What happens next?
When a mortgage or deed of trust is paid off, a reconveyance document is typically sent by the lender to be recorded. To check if this document has been recorded, you can use the online search, call our office, or sign up for Fraud Guard (automatic email alerts when a document is recorded in your name). 

Unlike a car, there is no new title or deed sent after paying off the loan.
I need my copies ASAP. Do you expedite?
Copy requests, including certified marriages, are typically filled within 1-2 days of receiving the request and are returned via First Class Mail through the US Post Office.  If you would like to expedite the process, you may send your request via overnight mail and include an overnight prepaid envelope for the document to be returned.
Should I use the Public Records Request form to locate copies of recorded documents?
No.  Most records are available through our online search.  Currently, our online database starts around 1982.  Records prior to this date can be searched in-office or online through our Historical Index Search.  Please call or email us to schedule an office visit to view these indexes.  If you need assistance locating a record, please email or give us a call at (775) 847-0967

Sheriff's Office

How can I get a copy of an accident report?

Accidents that occurred prior to 2012 are available though our office at the cost of $1 per page. Accidents that occurred in 2012 and forward are now provided through CARFAX. Please visit the CARFAX website for more information. 

Depending on where the accident occurred, it may have been handled by the Nevada Highway Patrol, which can be reached by calling 775-688-2500.

How can I obtain a copy of a case report?
To obtain a copy of a case report, you must first contact the Storey County Sheriff’s Office at 775-847-0959 to confirm the case was handled through our office. Please note, the cost to obtain a case report is $1 per page. Therefore, we encourage you to ask how many pages the report includes.

Additionally, the Sheriff’s Office can only provide reports for closed cases. If the case is active at the time of request, you will need to obtain the report from the District Attorney's Office. The Sheriff’s Office can advise of the case’s status when you call. Please submit your request in writing along with a check made payable to the Storey County Sheriff’s Office.
When I go on vacation will the Sheriff's Office check my home?
Yes, this is a community service we provide residents and businesses. Simply call the Dispatch Center at 775-847-0950 to set up a Vacation Watch schedule. We ask that you request this service one week in advance of your planned departure date.
How can I get information on sex offenders in the area?
Please visit the Nevada Department of Public Safety's Sex Offender website. There, you can search for an offender, obtain current statistics about sexual offenses, and read helpful safety tips.
What can I do about my neighbor's barking dogs?
To file a complaint, please contact the non-emergency phone number at the Dispatch Center, which is 775-847-0950. Your complaint will be logged, and an officer will be dispatched to evaluate the situation.
What should I do about an animal running loose in my neighborhood?
Please contact the non-emergency phone number at the Dispatch Center, which is 775-847-0950. An officer will be dispatched to check on the animal and take necessary action.
How can I obtain a concealed weapon permit?

To obtain a concealed weapon permit, you must complete an application. Please note, there is a $37.50 Department of Public Safety fee for fingerprinting and a $60 Storey County Sheriff’s Office processing fee. 

Additionally, per the requirements listed on the application, you must also receive a certificate from a local firing range.

How can I get fingerprinted?
Please visit the Storey County Sheriff’s Office:

205 S. C St.
Virginia City, NV 89440

We will be more than happy to assist you with your fingerprinting needs. Typically two cards are required, and there is a $10 fee for each card.
How can I start a neighborhood watch program?
To start a neighborhood watch program, it is recommended that you first meet with your neighbors to determine the level of interest in a watch program and the special concerns of people in your area. Set up an initial meeting date, and invite your Storey County Sheriff’s Office Neighborhood Watch program deputy, John-Michael Mendoza, to the meeting (775-847-0959).

During this meeting, Deputy Mendoza can answer questions about crime in your area as well as assist you in organizing your program and utilizing it most effectively. Deputy Mendoza will provide you with Neighborhood Watch decals, and we encourage as many homes as possible to prominently display these decals (for instance, on a window facing the street). 

To report a possible crime, violation, or burglary, please contact the Dispatch Center at 775-847-0950.
How do I dispute a traffic citation?
If you would like to dispute a traffic citation, you must visit the Storey County Justice Court to obtain a waiver of arraignment. You may also make your court date and plea “not guilty.” If you’d prefer, you can mail your scheduled bail and a plea of “not guilty” to the Justice Court and a waiver of arraignment will be sent to you. Once the waiver of arraignment is received by the Justice Court, a pretrial date will be set.

Justice Court
26 S. B St.
P.O. Box 674
Virginia City, NV 89440
How do I pay a traffic citation?
If you would like to pay a traffic citation, simply mail in a scheduled bail prior to the court date or appear in court and plea “no contest” or “guilty.” Please mail in a check or money order made payable to Storey County Justice Court. You may also elect to bring it to the Justice Court in person:

Justice Court
26 S. B St.
P.O. Box 674
Virginia City, NV 89440