Crime & Prevention
205 S. C St.
P.O. Box 498
Virginia City, NV 89440
The following suggestions are provided to give your family, friends, and neighbors ideas for preventing crimes in their homes, businesses and general community.
Tips for Increasing SafetyThe following tips may help you increase the security of your home and/or office while you are away from the property:
- Lock all windows and doors.
- Stop mail and cancel all deliveries or ask someone to place mail and deliveries inside the property.
- Make sure the property looks occupied, not empty.
- Put an automatic timer on several lights.
- If you’ll be gone for an extended period of time, ask someone to maintain your property. Nothing says “vacant” like accumulated, unshoveled snow or overgrown grass.
- Leave a key with someone you trust.
- Consider storing valuables, and an extra property key, in a safe deposit box.